Monday, July 20, 2015

The first cut: a scarf.

I want to build a sailboat. I have almost no woodworking experience, no workshop, and no expert knowledge of sailing. This will be a challenge. After weeks of self debate and research, I settled on a design from CLC boats. Lets see how this goes...

The goal: The Jimmy Skiff



First step:

The plans call for two sheets each of 9mm and 6mm Okoume marine plywood. I could not find these locally so I ordered them online and it arrived today.  I need to join two 4'x8'  sheets to create one 4'x16' sheet. This is done by a scarf joint. Seemed easy enough. I was wrong. Creating my first scarf took me almost 4 hours because I had no idea how to make this cut. I tried everything. In the end I used a cheap power planer from HD to get the basic shape, then I used a low angle block plane to get closer,  finally an orbital sander to get it smooth. Home depot is going to make a lot of money off me.  At least now I have some tools. The second scarf cut took me only about 1/2 hour.













2 comments:

  1. To continue to the next post, hit the left arrow at the bottom of the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the "Newer Post" button at the bottom left of the page.

      Delete